Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tuna Casserole

I know what you are thinking, "Tuna Casserole! Yuck!" Tuna casserole can be a bland, tasteless meal. However, this casserole is full of flavor. It is the best tuna casserole recipe I have ever had. It is delicious! My family is always circling the pan wanting a second helping and there are never any leftovers. I got this recipe from my grandmother's church cookbook. It was submitted to the Sweet Memories Cookbook of Temple First United Methodist Church by Jerrie Hooper of Temple, Oklahoma. All her recipes are excellent. If I ever get to meet her I am going to invite myself over for dinner. Thank You, Jerrie Hooper!
Tuna Casserole
1/4c. chopped green pepper
1/2c. chopped onion
1 c. sliced celery stalk
1 (6 1/2 oz.) can tuna
1 6oz. package noodles (I increase to a 12oz. package for my family.)
1 can cream of celery soup (Cream of mushroom or chicken also works.)
1/2 c. milk (I increase to 1 c. if I add extra noodles.)
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1 t. salt
1 small jar of pimientos (I tend to omit this.)
1 c. cheddar cheese
1 c. bread crumbs or crackers
Saute green pepper, onion and celery. Cook noodles. In a separate bowl mix soup and milk with a whisk. Add mayonnaise. Drain tuna and mix with the milk mixture. Stir in sauteed vegetables. Add salt, pimientos, cheese and hot noodles. Coat a baking dish with cooking spray. Pour mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle top of casserole with the crumbs and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment