Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Easy Christmas Candy

'Tis the season for baking and candy making. I cannot help sampling as I am preparing treats. What is it about butter and sugar that makes the combination so irresistible? I am so glad Christmas only comes once a year. My waist line is increasing as we speak! I am getting arthritis in my elbow from constantly moving my hand to my mouth. Here are two recipes I cannot resist. They are easy. You cannot mess this up. Warning: Do not make more than one batch of these or you will be getting an extra five pounds for Christmas.
Cracker Candy
I have seen many recipes for these delectable morsels of joy on the Internet. Who knows who invented this? An angel, I tell you, an angel! It is salty and sweet. This is the recipe I use.
Saltine crackers
1c. butter (You must use butter!)
1c. packed brown sugar
1 package chocolate chips
Chopped Pecans (if desired)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Line crackers in a single layer on the bottom of the pan. In a sauce pan bring butter and sugar to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Pour over crackers. Bake in the oven until sauce begins bubbling up again, about 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and place back in the oven for 1 minute until chocolate chips are softened. Remove from oven and spread chocolate until covering all crackers. Sprinkle with pecans. Let cool until set up. Cut into bite sized pieces. Send some to your friend Genny. Enjoy!
Peanutbutterscotch Crunchies
I've been making this for years. It is a favorite of my children. It only takes minutes to make. You can prepare it in one bowl, so clean up is a snap.
3/4c. peanut butter
1 package butterscotch chips
4c. crisp rice cereal
Directions: Put peanut butter and butterscotch chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high 1 minute. Stir. Microwave 30 seconds to 1 more minute. Stir until smooth. Add rice cereal and stir until completely coated. Spoon in heaping spoonfuls on to wax paper. Allow to cool and set up. Sneak a few into a plastic bag and hide them in your top dresser drawer. Eat them when no one is looking.
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do! Don't forget your apron!

No comments:

Post a Comment