Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Armed with Love: Trust

I Corinthians 13:7, "Love always trusts."

I am a mom of three beautiful teenagers. I am often asked if they are triplets. I like to refer to them as "triblings." Two are 15 year old fraternal twins, a boy and a girl. They have a 16 year old brother. All three are 11 months apart. (Yes, that is three children in one year!)My husband and I adopted them eleven years ago. They have kept our hands busy and our hearts full. The topic of trust often comes up with teenagers. Because we are doing our best to bring our children up in a way that is pleasing to God we do not allow our children to participate in some activities other parents would. That means we often say "no" to parties. We have strong limits on dating. We don't allow them to see movies that are inappropriate. Computer time is limited and restricted. We often hear the question, "Why don't you trust me?" None of them understand that trust has very little to do with the choices we make in their regard. Love has everything to do with it.

I Corinthians 13:7 says, "Love always trusts." This sounds scary to me. If I love someone, do I always trust them? What if they have failed me in the past? Do I keep on trusting them? Answering these questions means learning what this verse really means.

I Corinthians 13:7 is translated in the King James Version, "[Love] believeth all things." The word "believeth" is the Greek word "pisteuō." In this verse, it is used in an ethical sense. "Pisteuō" means that I can place my confidence in the goodness of another. If I trust you, it means I believe in you. I love you and I know you are going to make good decisions. I can stand with you knowing you have done your best. I've got your back and I know you've got mine. That kind of trust takes a lot of love. It doesn't happen over night, but it can grow. If trust is broken, it can be rebuilt. It takes commitment, forgiveness and time.

Next time my teenagers ask, "Why don't you trust me?" I know the answer I will give. I'll say, "My lovely, I've got your back. Sometimes that means you won't get to do what your friends are doing. I know you won't like it. The difference between me and you friends is I love you. I love you the way God does. I know God has great plans for your life. I am not going to give the enemy and opportunity to disrupt those plans. Someday you will have to make your own decisions. I have full confidence that you will make the right one. I believe in you."

I love you, kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment